Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Saturday 24 September 2011

Stockport, Pineapple Inn

OK, cheating a little for a "pub of the day", but there are 2 pubs in Stockport I am including, just down the same road from each other.
When in Stockport it would be a crime not to visit a Robinsons' pub, the local brewery, so first I shall reminisce over the Pineapple Inn in Heaton Lane, SK4, not to be confused with the Pineapple in Castle Street, SK3. My mate Dave called me up from the Castle Street version, which I had no idea existed before then, wondering where we were! Just how did we cope at away matches before the mobile phone became portable and cheap enough for popular use? Anyway, he and his entourage had caught a cab from the station (lazy gits) and the cab driver had asked if they were sure they wanted the Pineapple, Dave said "yes", so where were we?
Of course, WE were in the correct Pineapple Inn in Heaton Lane, so I directed him to come and meet us. Meanwhile we'd drunk a few pints of Robinsons' Hatters and Unicorn before they reached us, and also started eating lunch. I think I enjoyed eating a meat pie and fresh vegetables, I can't really remember that much about it as many pints have flown under the bridge since then, but I know I enjoyed the meal! I also remember we took the mick out of them when they finally turned up.
The Pineapple Inn is certainly a friendly hospitable pub to visit, with 3 separate rooms and walls adorned by china plates, though, unsurprisingly, not near the dartboard. I felt very comfortable drinking here, even when 10 Sheffield United fans walked through the door to join the dozen or so of us already there who were not Blades, but Rangers fans. The landlord's face was a picture, I just wish I'd had a camera in my hand at the precise moment the door opened to admit them.
However, he didn't need to worry, as we had arranged to meet up, not for any 'bovver', but to enjoy friendly banter, but, more importantly, the beer! I used to live in Sheffield, in fact I lived there for 15 years until recently, so I do know a significant number of Blades and Owls fans, I'm even friendly with most of the ones I know. Anyway, we had a good session, and the landlord's face perked up as his cash till chimed with the addition of extra takings.

No comments:

Post a Comment