Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Sunday 14 July 2013

Beer consumption down in Belgium!

A wee change of tempo, though my next blog will be about my walk with the Routemeister on Wednesday last, and 2 new pubs.  However, he (my brother Dan), brought with him when he visited, a copy of an article from the Belgian Metro newspaper he thought I'd be interested to read the article (link).


Amongst other things, the article states that, according to official figures, the Belgians are drinking less beer per head than ever, ie it has dropped from 80 litres per head annually to just 74 litres per head, shameful! However, this is against a background of a 1% increase in annual production, due to sales to countries outside the European Union increasing.  Indeed, in the last 12 years, exports to countries outside the EU has increased by 613.3%... 


If Belgian beers weren't so expensive over here, I'd be very happy to help contribute to the increase in production too, especially my favourite, the excellent 'trappist' Westmalle Tripel, a mere 9.5% of beautifully hoppy beer, and 'real' too, as bottle conditioned.  Anyway, the next time he returns from Brussels, the Routemeister will be bringing back some bottles for me, as he'll be coming back by car for a change, nice one, I'm looking forward to helping the Belgian brewers, cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment