Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Top 20 pubs Part I

What pub is my favourite? I was recently asked! How to answer, as I've been to so many great pubs over the years? So, I thought, which pubs do I want to return to before I die? Then, I thought, OK let's think of 10, no 20... but I kept thinking of more! Anyway, I've decided to go for the first 20 that came to mind, excluding any where I currently live in Hastings, though I could immediately add the Swan & Rushes in Leicester or Ye Olde Black Boy in Hull, indeed, I could carry on adding, so I've decided to leave it to the first 20 I thought of. In order of merit, starting with numbers 16-20...


At number 16 is the Peter Tavy Inn (website), a 15th century pub on the western edge of Dartmoor, and, as found in many small village pubs, close by the church. The Peter Tavy Inn has been in CAMRA's Good Beer Guide for many years, and is just one of the 5 Devon pubs that came to mind for my top 20; I do have many great memories of visiting and living in Devon. I'm not sure when I first discovered this wonderful building and public house, I certainly visited here in the 1980s, when I lived in Exeter, but may have visited when staying with Devonian friends, Steve and Jude, in the 70s! Up to 5 real ales on at a time, with the latest 3 regulars being Dartmoor Jail Ale (4.8%), Tavy Ideal Pale Ale (4.8%), and Branscombe Vale Summa That (5%); you'll notice, all Devon ales, and brewed close by too. Guest ales can also come from nearby, or sometimes from further afield. 

This is in a tiny wee village, usually driven to, but I have walked there when I lived in Tavistock. Why do I chose this Inn in my 20? Well, I've many happy memories of visiting, it sells crackin' ales, and good food too, lovely building, and good to sit outside too. Strangely, I remember once visiting and seeing, for the first time ever, a tight sparkler being used to dispense Tetleys Bitter! If you are in the area, the Peter Tavy Inn certainly is worth visiting, and I do want to re-visit here before I die...   


At number 17 is the Dolphin Hotel, down near the water at the Barbican in Plymouth, so another Devon pub, and one that I did first visit in the late 1970s! This is another CAMRA Good Beer Guide regular for years, and my first memory was of the many kilderkins of Bass stillaged behind the bar, serving the ale straight from the cask, and always in crackin' form too. I have been back many times since, including most recently before a match against Argyle, and sincerely hope I haven't had my last pint there. They sell other ales from handpumps too, with up to 7 guests, plus St Austell Tribute (4.2%) as a second regular ale.


The Dolphin is often described as a bit basic, which it is, but it's also very clean and well-lived in, however, the walls are adorned with many original works donated by Beryl Cook, who used to frequent the pub; as the picture here shows! Also nearby is Cap'n Jaspers (website), renowned for good value food, particularly visited after a few pints. I remember it as a caravan type stall when I first ate there, but it is more static now in a purpose built unit. Whatever, The Dolphin's close proximity to the Barbican, and involvement with the local fishing industry, makes this a very special pub to visit when in Plymouth, I look forward to my next pint there! 


My 18th pub is the Honest Lawyer in Scunthorpe. Amusingly, Adam, of the FILO brewing businesses in Hastings, recently asked how many of the pubs I write about on my website (www.beer-meister.co.uk) I have actually visited? Of course, it's not all, though quite a few, but I do get recommendations from friends and other people I meet too. My brother, Dan, asked Adam to quiz me about any town and I'd give a suggestion. Adam thought he'd done me with Scunthorpe, so was amazed when I immediately replied with the Honest Lawyer, which I have, indeed, visited and wish to do so again, particularly as the landlord retired recently, so I'd like to compare how it changes after a year or two more. 

I've been here before and after football matches at Scunthorpe, and Alan certainly kept a tight ship with up to 8 excellent ales, and very good bar grub too, indeed, the pub had a well known restaurant upstairs too (The 'Gallows'). It is surprisingly roomy for such a narrow building, going back quite a distance, and used to have some of the best barmaids, and fittest, I'd ever met, quite a number being from Europe. Alan even used to phone up for taxis for people going to the match, I loved the place. Apparently, the ownership hasn't actually altered too much, though the new publican only has 3 real ales on sale now. An up-to-date report would be most welcomed, but, whatever, I do wish to return here before I die!  


Number 19 is a pub I have regularly reported on, as regular readers will be well aware of, and is The Bricklayers Arms (website), built in Putney in 1826, and a regular winner of the CAMRA London Pub of the Year. The Bricklayers is another 'basic' pub, I don't go in for frills so much, but like to see that pubs are clean and tidy, 'traditional' if you like, and who keep ales in excellent condition! Consequently, The Bricklayers comes into the reckoning, and I call it my 'Putney Local', it has regular beer festivals, as can be seen from its website, and the landlady, Becky, is regularly off on a charity fund raising adventure, cycling the Great Wall or whatever, but the pub stays true to her wishes when she's away. 

I first drank here at the start of the 1980s, when I still lived in London, and seem to remember it selling Fullers London Pride in those days; since then it's been a pubco pub, a Timothy Taylors pub, and now as a genuine 'free house' sells up to 10 real ales from microbreweries. Typically, there will be 6 different ales or so from a single brewery, followed by 6 or so from another, at a time, eg recently from Twickenham, Dark Star, Blackjack and Oakham breweries, with other ales from here and there. I am sure I shall return here many times, and very soon, and am amazed myself that I've placed it down at number 19, but that just shows how many great pubs there are in this country, and I hope to find many more before I die!  


Down at number 20 is the only pub on this page that I've actually worked at, though for a previous owner 2 or 3 times removed, the summer before I went to university down in Plymouth, so another Devonian pleasure! The Boringdon Arms is in Turnchapel, the other side of the River Plym 'estuary' from the Barbican in Plymouth, and from where you can catch a 'water taxi' between the two. This 18th century pub has a garden at the rear carved into the cliff/rock face, and a lovely peaceful garden it is too, certainly early in the morning and before the pub opens. I worked here in 1992 when the opening hours moved to 'all day' and they used to sell Butcombe Bitter (4%) as a regular ale, and their other regular ale was brewed by Smiles Brewery, which closed in 2005, sadly, but which was then re-badged and called Golden Guinea and sold for just £1.05 a pint (get it? A Guinea). Now the regular ales appear to be from Cornish breweries Sharps and St Austell. 

The Boringdon Arms still provides good value B&B, I believe, and crackin' food too. In the 1990s they used to have curries produced using a curry paste that an older Jack Tar made up for them, and if you managed to finish the hottest one, you got it free and received a special certificate... It was hot! I loved the position, the building, the ales and the food, and I often stayed overnight following a late evening shift, had a great breakfast, went for an early morning walk up on top, then sat out in the garden once I'd finished preparing the bar for the day... Work the lunchtime shift, then catch the bus back to Tavistock via Plymouth, great memories, and I want to return! 

I'm looking forward to more anecdotes and Part II, cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment