Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Friday 16 May 2014

Top 20 pubs Part II

This covers numbers 11 to 15 from my list (see the previous blog for 16-20), and doesn't have the domination of Devon pubs this time, but has more pubs from the South East of England. However, number 11 is a Devon pub... 


So, this blog's Devon pub and number 11 is The Bridge Inn at Topsham (website), the village being on the River Exe, though The Bridge is actually by a bridge over a smaller river, the Clyst. This is a historic inn, much of it built in the 16th century, though the family that run the pub have only been here since 1897! The Queen visited the pub in 1998, though I also have memories of the Queen Mother visiting, and pouring a pint, quite a few years previous. I first visited in 1985 with my ex-wife, Julie, whilst working and living in Exeter, when I was presented with my first ever beer 'menu'. Other memories of that first visit included listening to 2 farmers whose dialect meant neither of us could understand what they were saying, so not really listening at all, and that in those days it closed at 10.30pm (Winter Time, so out of tourist season).  

This is a crackin' old building, full of atmosphere, with the staff serving up to 9 ales fetched directly from the cellar, as they are 'pulled' by gravity straight from the cask, plus they have real ciders; they also have a newer extension at the back where some ales are also served by handpump, but this is from a seasonally opened separate bar. Ales available are regularly from local microbreweries, and the one regular ale is the 3.8% Branscombe Vale Branoc. I have visited The Bridge Inn many times, either by driving here, or by catching the train direct from Exeter, consequently allowing for proper drinking at this and other pubs in Topsham. However, I haven't visited for some time, and believe it is a different generation of the family in charge now, who I do hope to visit and drink with very soon! 


At number 12 is the Kelham Island Tavern in Sheffield (website), a pub resurrected by Trevor and Lewis in 2002, having been closed for quite a while (I seem to remember it being called the Swan or something, though happy to be corrected). Since then, they have won the Sheffield CAMRA Pub of the Year many times, no mean feat in Sheffield, and are the current 2014 PotY! Indeed, during those 12 years they have also TWICE won the National CAMRA Pub of the Year, an even greater feat... So, what have they got to offer? 13 real ales, many from local microbreweries, indeed, 3 of their 4 regular ales are from Sheffield brewers, including from Bradfield Brewery, where my old colleague at Kelham Island Brewery (round the corner from the pub, but no connection business-wise), Paul, now works.  

But it's more than that... They serve excellent ales, real ciders, decent food, have live music and other events, and I have fond memories of winning a few quid at dominoes here too. They have also created a friendly warm pub, where women feel happy to visit, though also the real ale brigade too, plus many other regulars and visitors in a rather eclectic mix. Indeed, when I visited earlier this year, I had the usual amusing 'hello' from Dave behind the bar, don't ask, and a good chat with Trevor too, and I also knew quite a few folk there, and not just the 2 lads I came in with. Oh yes! They have a 'no swearing' policy, with heavy fines for those who flout the mores. So, I have been back recently, and felt as welcome as ever, and I do need to return again before I die, hopefully many many times! 


OK, back to the 3 pubs in the South East, starting with The Snowdrop Inn in Lewes (website) at number 13, and in Sussex actually. This is a great pub, and I've been to The Snowdrop on quite a number of occasions, alone and with friends and/or family, mostly to do with long walks, being a 'tourist', or just a Lewes 'pub crawl', and also before and after football matches at Albion's newish ground in Falmer (next station on the line to Brighton). Crackin' staff, including some very interesting lasses, good food, beer festivals and well conditioned ales, why wouldn't you want to return?  


So, to the ales, a very important factor, and the new 'kid on the block', well, not so new now, but certainly, in my opinion, the current best brewer of pale and hoppy ales in East Sussex, Burning Sky, provide the regular ales here now; so expect to see at least Plateau and Aurora pumpclips on the bar, and probably one of their 'crafty kegs' too. Also, served in specially manufactured 'lined' straight glasses with the names of Burning Sky and The Snowdrop Inn on opposite sides of the glass; I'm looking forward to their next beer festival, and trusting I shall be able to purchase one of these glasses, as suggested to me by bar staff recently; OK I've a few glasses already, but these ones are quality. Anyway, up to 6 excellent ales, real cider, good food, friendly staff etc etc... this is a pub I want to return to again and again!  


Across the border to Kent now, and the Red Lion in Snargate is at number 14, and which I believe my last blog that included comments referring to it was the one about pubs with no keg beers, but that isn't the only reason why... The Red Lion is another 16th century pub, with a farm next door and a church opposite, and not much else around, but the population of Snargate is listed as 102 persons, so I'm guessing there are some other farms and houses thereabouts that aren't so obvious. One of its charms is that it is in the middle of nowhere, in-between Walland and Romney Marshes, and the closest you can get to it by public transport is a little over a mile to the south at Brenzett, and next is 2 miles to the north at Appledore.

Another charm is the building, of course, with a captivating room at the back, and much more, evidence of this being a museum to the past, certainly to the 1940s; you have to visit to see it and appreciate what I mean.  This has been in the same family's hands for a little over 100 years, and is known locally, and further afield, as Doris's, the landlady being the daughter-in-law of the original family owner I do believe. However, her own daughter is more likely to be serving up your ales these days, both lovely people. The ales you'll be served will probably be from a local microbrewery like Goachers, and are served from the 4 handpumps on the antique marble bar, plus a couple of real ciders. I've not been for a while, so shall have to organise another wander into the marshes of Kent very soon. 


Back across to Sussex and the 15th pub on the list is The Evening Star (website), just a couple of minutes walk from the railway station in Brighton, and the 'flagship' pub of Dark Star Brewery. As I've said before, I first tasted Dark Star Hophead when I lived in Sheffield, quite a few years ago now, and have even acquired the nickname of 'Hophead Steve' in the Dolphin in Hastings, for some reason, since moving to the South Coast... One of the first places I visited when in Brighton following many years absence had to be The Evening Star, of course, and I have returned, a few times since, to this unpretentious hostelry. 

Obviously, I'm going to say excellent ales are served up here, ie 7 ales from handpump (plus usually a perry and cider); 4 ales usually being from Dark Star, and another 3 guest ales. The bar staff really do know their business, and regularly are involved with the brewery, and involved in collaborative brews with other brewers, such as Magic Rock and Brodies. Always friendly, with an eclectic mix of customers and, following an earlier in the day visit to the beer festival in Hove one year, I was tolerated by virtually everyone in here, staff and punters alike! Consequently, of course I want to return again... 

Cheers for now, numbers 6 to 10 coming up soon, with an even greater variation of pub and from 5 different cities and towns! 

No comments:

Post a Comment