Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Bear at Swans Nest Hotel - Stratford-upon-Avon

I visited friends in Stratford-upon-Avon on Saturday afternoon and naturally gave Steve a call to see if he could recommend a pub to visit.

With a pregnant girlfriend, it was important that there was a good atmosphere, access to food and toilets and that for my own benefit, there would be somewhere to watch the England v Belgium game.
 

My question stumped Steve, but after consulting one of his Beer guides he came up trumps with the suggestion of The Bear at the Swans Nest Hotel. Who needs google and smartphones eh?

Pubs in Stratford seem to follow a thespian theme or have references to Shakespeare in one way or another, but pleasingly the Bear had neither. This is effectively the bar to what looked like a fairly smart hotel situated right on the Avon.
All manner of ales were on offer but I plumped for a smooth Old Hooky from the Hook Norton Brewery and must say it was a nice drop. Showing my age with comments like that. I must halt this decline.
Aside from the beer, service was polite and efficient but what really impressed me was the framing of the flat screen TVs in rather ornate old, erm frames.

If you're looking for a pub away from the tourists, this is a good one.



1 comment: