Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Part V - Ending the drinking and leaving Sheffield

Well, we'd done the great majority of ale drinking already, and hadn't met up with Lindsay yet, though we did at The Blake, James Burkett's new pub, and my debut here! 

I think I drank Titanic Steerage here, certainly two pints, but maybe I had a different ale too? My notes start getting less legible now. Whatever, it's a decent ale house, and well worth the visit, with 6 mostly local, but all microbrewery ales on the bar.


We then walked downhill to an old 'local', I literally lived a minute walk away before leaving Sheffield, this is the Hillsborough, with its own micro, Wood Street Brewery.  The photo shows Jeff and Lindsay rushing ahead of me to get into the pub, which has 8 ales on sale, including 3 of their own. I had their 4.5% Here We Go bitter, which would have benefitted with more hops, but I believe they are seeking a new brewer, and I do like my hoppy ales. 


We parted company from Lindsay, and Jeff and I went to the Sheaf Island, a 'spoons in Ecclesall Road, for dinner, and we even had another pint of a Millstone ale in the Porterbrook before heading for the comfort of 'home'... I woke up still sitting on the sofa at 04.00 the next morning.


Thursday, meant leaving Sheffield, via yet another 'spoons, the Francis Newton, for breakfast, and a couple of pints at another new pub for me, the Hop, an Ossett Brewery pub in the centre, overlooking Devonshire Green. Here Jeff and I met up with Anna, another very lovely ex-colleague, happily pregnant... Jeff was off to work, she is pregnant, so I had to take up the job of drinking 2 of their own ales, ie Ossett Excelsior (5.2%) and Yorkshire Blonde (3.9%).  I preferred the Yorkshire Blonde, though both good beers, but it had the edge on bitterness for me.

So, goodbye to Sheffield, yet again, thank you to all who helped me to enjoy it, and cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment