Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Saturday 10 March 2012

Hove CAMRA beer festival

Yesterday, I visited the Sussex CAMRA Branches Beer & Cider Festival at Hove Town Hall, ends today.

OK, so the town hall isn't too impressive a building, though the older part around the corner is a little more interesting, but inside was very interesting, as there were a few rooms full of ales, bottled beers, ciders and perries, food, bits & bobs, and people who enjoy good beer!
I had 10 halves in my shortish lunchtime visit (open 11-3pm yesterday and again in the evening; I don't think it closes during the afternoon today though), so I'll list them as I drank them.
My first was Bowman's SHB (3.7%), which wasn't listed in the programme, nor is it on their website, so either a brand new ale, or a 'mix', not sure which, but it was very tasty for my first choice. OK, it's the winter (nearly over), but today I was concentrating on pale, session ales, and this fit the deal, a pale and very easy ale to drink, though not much aroma, so I'm guessing no American hops with their floral and fruity aromas. Anyhow, whilst just starting this, I met Keith of Porter Tours, someone I've known for years, but hadn't seen for a few; in fact, the last time was in a Eurostar bar, returning from Brussels! Great to meet up and hear news of people from an old haunt, the Andover Arms in Hammersmith.
I also met up with a couple of people from the Gardeners Arms in Lewes, otherwise, most people I knew who were coming were probably at the business end on Thursday.
I was served by a lovely young woman for my first two drinks, who tolerated my waffling too, and had the second ale, Twickenham's Grandstand (3.8%), pale, fruity, dry, and very nice!
Next, Sambrook's Pale Ale (4.2%), again pale, dry, slightly fruity flavour, another not in the programme, and cannot see anything about it on their website, but nice.
King's Cascade (4.2%), pale and hoppy, but not as much fruit flavour from the hops that I'd expected by the name.
Langham's Flor-ale (3.8%), pale, but not as much hops as I'd expected.
Fallen Angel's Gardeners Delight (4.2%) was dry and pale, very good, though missed the labels from their bottled beers (if you've not seen them, they're quite outstanding, in a sexist sort of way!), first time I've tasted one of their ales from cask.
Surrey Hills' Shere Drop (4.2%) was pale too, but tasted more like what I'd call a proper bitter from my youth, ie it was bitter, and they used to always be a mid-copper or bronze colour; I liked it!
I then had to try Bradfield's Steel Cow (4.5%) from my old stomping ground in South Yorkshire. I'm not sure if he works there now, but an old colleague of mine when I worked part-time at Kelham Island Brewery, Paul Ward, was their first brewer, I believe. It was worth trying too, pale and dry, and my notes say "not so bad", so it was good!
My penultimate drink was South Downs' Truleigh Gold (3.7%) which was pale and bitter, nice, but one of my favourite ales I kept til last, so 9 beers I'd never tasted before, and I was very happy, in more ways than one...
Dark Star APA (4.7%) is a pale, dry and bitter ale with the three 'Cs' of hops providing aroma and fruit flavours, crackin' ale and only £1.20 for a half! So, ended with 10, mostly 'locale', ales, and I enjoyed them all, and the wasabi peanuts and beansprouts too.

The view as I walked back into Brighton and my pre-station visit to the Evening Star (had to be done), where I drank 2 pints of the very good Magic Rock's Rapture, I think it was called, my notes aren't so clear now as I was a bit 'merry', at 4.6%, darker, but light very fruity flavour. I chatted to quite a few people, who probably wished I hadn't, and met up with Keith again. Good day, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment