Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Thursday 22 March 2012

Walking in a Mackie Wonderland

OK, that title may not make much sense to some who look at this blog, but it makes a point for me, pre-football match, so... Only 3 pubs yesterday, here goes...
The Old Coffee House in Beak Street, just off Regent Street, London. An outlet for Brodies Brewery. Came in from a lovely sunny afternoon to be faced with 6 Brodies ales, Old Street Ale (5%), Brainwave (possibly 3.6%, couldn't make out), Bethnal Green Bitter (4%), Dalstone Black IPA (a massive 7%) and Shoreditch Sunshine, 3.9% of a pale, very dry and bitter ale with huge grapefruit aroma and taste; you can take it I drank the 'Sunshine', but, as I was meeting someone at the next pub, sadly, only the time for one pint, but very glad I made the spontaneous visit.

My next visit was to the Coach & Horses, Bruton St, just off New Bond Street, a very interesting oasis run by Nicholsons, though a tad more expensive than the first watering hole, with more 'national' type ales; Youngs London Gold, Bombardier, London Pride and Marston's 'Single Hop' East Kent Golding at 4%. Having drunk many pints of all the others in other pubs, I stuck to a couple of pints of the 'Single Hop', which was a decent middle of the range and colour bitter... It did what it said on the label, basically.
A very interesting pub I've never been in before, bit expensive, great building, well worth the visit, in my humble opinion...
We finally met up with the rest of today's gang at the Leinster Arms, Leinster Terrace, just off Bayswater Road. A free house, that now offers a special 'sausage' menu, they still sell pies though (this used to be a pie and ale house). I'm a bit of a regular here, even if my visits are only about every 2 months or so now, but sells 5 ales, including, last night, 45 RPM from my old employer, Kelham Island Brewery (4.5% strangely); Pride and Doom Bar; Holdens Purple Haze (4%), a fruity pale ale with not too much going for it, not up to their usual bitters and mild; and North Yorkshire Fools Gold (4.6%), a much more refreshing pale ale with a dry aftertaste and a peachy aroma, loved it!
Brigitte was the only one of us who ate here, that is, until I was entranced by her meal, so I ended up buying a meal too. They have a choice of sausages, choice of mash, and even a choice of gravy; the only difference between our 2 meals was the gravy, Brigitte had the onion gravy and I had the red wine gravy. The sausages were full of flavour, rich and meaty, a 'Wild Hog' with all the flavourings, and the mash was an interesting mix of potato, cheese and tomatos... Delicious!
So, a good few hours and a great start to the evening, more of which elsewhere, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment