Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Tuesday 22 January - The Albatross and White Rock Hotel.

Having to attend a meeting in Bexhill-on-Sea meant I could go to the Albatross Club in the evening, instead of making one of my more usual lunchtime visits.  Now, a song written by Elvis Costello and Paul McCartney, sung by Costello and, I believe, with the original recording including McCartney playing bass on it, may seem a strange way to kick off this blog, ie "Veronica" (youtube).  However, I'd been with a colleague of mine, I'm sure you can guess her name, and, at the Albatross Club, I met a second Veronica in one evening.  Whenever I see my colleague I always sing to myself this song, so it was, and is, very much on my mind.


Anyway, enough of my waffle, ales!  To gain entry to The Albatross, you need either to be a guest of a RAFA member, or a CAMRA member, and, as a visitor, you become obliged to donate a £1 fee for the visit, soon recovered when considering the ales cost around a pound a pint more elsewhere.  This year, though, I decided I should join the RAFA as an associate member, and so, I collected my membership cards to the Association and to the club, many thanks for accepting me!  So, ales...


4 ales available, which will be increased to 5 in the next few months, once a bit of work on the bar is sorted, all at £2.60 a pint, and always an interesting choice. This Tuesday there were 3 Sussex ales available Isfield Toad in the Ale, Dark Star Hophead (3.8%),and Rother Valley Exit, and Youngs Special (4.5%) for the more conventional drinker, ie, you can get this all over the country. Now, Dark Star beers too, can be bought in many places, indeed, I drank my first pint of Hophead some years ago, when I was living in Sheffield, and I've reported on this excellent pale hoppy bitter many times, so I shan't report on either today.

I've had the Isfield Toad in the Ale (4.8%) before, but couldn't remember what it was like, so had to try a half, and happy to.  It's a very dark deep red colour, which I couldn't remember, with a hint of chocolate malt in the flavour, very nice too.  The Rother Valley Exit (5.7%) was a more hoppy brew, subtitled as 'Sussex Strong Ale', much paler than I thought it would be, with a hint of malt 'biscuits' and a dry aftertaste.  So, 4 very different ales on offer, and all good!  


As can be seen, The Albatross Club won the South East Sussex Club of the Year award for last year, and Geoff, the Head Steward/Bar and Cellar Manager, I'm not really sure of his title, together with the Club officials and activists, must take much credit for providing this oasis for real ale drinkers in Bexhill.  As would be expected, convivial spirit was present, and much rewarding conversation was held with Geoff, the regularly present, Jonathan, and many others, including the Social Secretary (another nurse).  In addition, there was a very good band playing called 'Creole Jazz', sadly, the weather not allowing for too many people in the audience this evening, and Geoff even brought round plates of roasted potatos, very nice touch, cheers!


Now, why, if coming back home via the White Rock Hotel, should I place a photograph of the English Rose in Luton here?  Logical, really, for me anyway... As it was tipping down, I decided not to walk the 5 miles home, as I'd already got soaked walking the 5 miles to Bexhill earlier in the evening, so I cought the train back, but, wishing to visit the White Rock, and with about half an hour to spare before closing, I got off at Warrior Square instead of going all the way into Hastings. Once the barman, Johnny, and I started talking, by now I was the only customer, and his cleaning and tidying up was easy to balance with me talking my usual 9 to the dozen.  Anyway, we'd talked before, some time last year, and he comes from Luton, and we had discussed pubs there before, and I wanted to give the English Rose a plug, as I had a great time drinking there before a 'friendly' match at Luton a couple of years ago, together with my co-author of this blog, Kieran, and his mother, Cath, who lives in Luton, and who put us both up for the night, thanks muchly.  So, there you go...

In addition, during the clear up campaign, I also chatted to Johnny's colleague, Louise, indeed, they were both very pleasant company for a sodden peasant, as I felt at the time, balancing the tidying and cleaning up, with keeping the customer happy (moi), and, probably, just wishing I'd go home!  Many thanks for your patience. Oh yes, ales, they had the ubiquitous Harveys Sussex Best (4%), Franklins Pudding Stout (4.2%), which I have very recently commented on, so I had a pint of the Franklins English Garden, a 3.8% session bitter, pale, and very easy to drink.  Unless an ale is very strong they price them all at £3.10 a pint here, which is very reasonable, especially for a hotel on the seafront, and not very far away from the town centre, and there are usually 4 ales on sale, always from Sussex brewers.

So, a nice end to a very enjoyable evening (and I had a hot shower when I got in), many thanks and cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment