Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Thursday 17 January 2013

Wednesday 16th January - White Rock Hotel + Tower again, Hastings

Another nice bright day, though a bit chilly, and a walk along the front, which enticed me into the White Rock Hotel, overlooking the sea, and delighted to see Kerry behind the bar again, who immediately suggested I drink the ale that I chose for myself anyway, excellent decisions.

 
There were 4 ales on, as usual, 1648 Signature (4.4%), Harveys Sussex Old Ale (4.3%), Dark Star Rock Star (6%), the result of cooperation with Magic Rock Brewery, an "American Brown Ale", and Franklins Pudding Stout.  I had a pint of the Pudding Stout, which Kerry said she had tried elsewhere and really liked, and it's a 4.2% very dark reddish brown ale, with a very strong chocolate aroma, less prominent in the taste, which has hints of spice, immediately a bit sweet, but with a bitter finish; liked it!

 

I then wandered up London Road to the Tower again, sadly, Louisa wasn't behind the bar this time, though she does employ lovely barstaff to fill in when she's not present, so no worries. There were 3 ales from Dark Star, the 6% Rock Star, 4.2% Winter Solstice, which I was going to drink, but didn't get round to (the music got a bit loud and she put snooker on the tv, pretty boring for me), and the 4.7% American Pale Ale (APA), which I did drink after trying a pint of the Nethergate "Growler Brewery" Hound Dog (4.2%).  This was a decent pale bitter, but not a patch on the APA though; Dark Star must have changed the recipe, I think, as it is tasting more bitter to me these days, crackin'!

 
 
I ended up walking back eastwards along the beach to the Hastings 'Old Town' and the Dolphin, which had the same 6 ales as I've already reported, the Hophead, Special, Sussex Best and Old Ale, Riptide and Loxley Ale, and the wonderful Louise and Debs behind the bar.  Also, I met The Quaffer, editor of Sussex Drinker, and had a good chat to him, and became a bit merrier than I usually get.


Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment