Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Friday 13 January 2012

A midwinter pub crawl in Pett, East Sussex

My brother, Dan, and myself had a bit of a walk, bit tiring start over, up and down, the cliffs from Hastings walking eastwards to Pett Level, where we reached the Smuggler Inn. Up to 6 ales can be on, but just the two Tuesday morning. I had Fuller's London Pride and Dan had Harveys Sussex Best. You can get a drink here as early as 09.30, as they open to serve a very impressive breakfast, and other food too! See www.thesmugglerinn.co.uk

Then we walked uphill, over fields to miss the busy (at times) road, we reached the very recently restored Royal Oak, Pett Village. Can have up to 4 ales, for now though, usually 2 or 3. The unbiquitous Sussex Best was on sale, but we drank Rother Valley Level Best, a 4.0% bitter, very nice too. Food served as well. See www.royaloakpett.com


Finally, we reached my favourite pub of the three (all very good pubs) the Two Sawyers, Pett Village. Food again on sale, and 4 real ales, Harveys Sussex Best and Sussex Old Ale, Ringwood Fortyniner, and we drank the always cracking ale, Dark Star American Pale Ale (APA) 4.7% of pale, dry, hoppy scrumptiousness! We walked back across the top to Hastings, but you can get the hourly bus from over the road (appears to leave about a quarter to the hour, but check for exact times if depending on the bus, I may be wrong). See www.twosawyers.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Steve, I love the Level Best! I went all the way to Kent a few years ago and expected to love the Goachers and Hopdaemon (and I did) but the Rother Valley offerings were by far the best beers I had. Have visited Pett twice and had a crap time in the 2 Sawyers both, but it was, erm, last century, so I may even forgive them and move on. Shame there's no Old Forge beers to try nowadays... WB (aged 78)

    ReplyDelete