Enjoy Playing Away From Home . . .

Thursday 12 April 2012

Icklesham - today's visit

Today I visited Icklesham, and it was a very good decision, 2 crackin' pubs, both free houses...
The Queen's Head, Parsonage Lane, TN36 4BL, a 17th century inn, was my first port of call, where I met John, behind the bar, who was a great source of information (many thanks John), and a fine chap to chat with. Like most pubs in the country, the Queen's Head relies quite heavily on food sales, (the chap I met outside beforehand warned me that I'd better have a good appetitie if eating here), and, despite my being there very early (opens at 11.00 and I was waiting outside by then), the evidence of reserved tables for a Thursday lunchtime tells its own story.
The Queen's Head also sells a fine range of real ales, between 5 (during the week) and 10 at weekends are on offer, plus a real cider; the beer range includes 'locales' from Dark Star, Old Dairy and Whitstable breweries, for example. Today, I drank Adnams Ghost Ship, not quite so local, but an ale that's been served in my more local pub very recently, and it was very pleasant, and a bit too easy to drink.

I then visited the Robin Hood, Main Road, TN36 4BD, another freehouse (quite reminds me of being back in Sheffield, freehouses galore), parts of the building dating back to 1607. The Robin Hood also is renowned for its good food, and also its good ales and 2 ciders (including, more rarely, a perry). There are 5 regularly changing ales on offer, I drank the 'locale' Old Dairy Spring Tap and finished off with the 3.7% Harviestoun Ruck & Maul, a rather away from home Scottish ale, very pale and hoppy, with a grapefruit taste... just has to be cascade, or a US similar, hop, but, and I'll be honest, I haven't researched it, but very nice...
The ciders are the very familiar Old Rosie and Westons Vintage Organic, both 7.3%.
I had a good chat to Ollie, the barman, and to a regular, Fred, who does have some very interesting tales to tell from his service in the army in WW2, very good company.
Oh yeh, and it's the CAMRA South East Pub of the Year, apparently...
I caught the bus back to Hastings from very close to the pub, a very 'happy bunny', cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment